Friday, February 13, 2015

Winter Weather Means....... Modified Schedule

Every Morning, I have roughly the same routine. I wake up, take a shower, prepare for the day, and go out and start my truck about 10 minutes early. Being someone who loves getting into a warm truck, Tioga County has made me appreciate it even more. Especially after weeks like these.

Thanks to this guy for coming to observe on Tuesday.
To start with, on Monday school was cancelled. It always a shame when school is cancelled, because one less day in the classroom, is one less day of learning for the students, and I do appreciate having all the days I can to cover as many topics as possible. I want them to get as much as possible out of class, and I can't do this on snow days.

Tuesday was exciting though (except for our two hour delay), because of our special guest..... Dr. Ewing. It was great seeing Dr. Ewing, and getting some feedback on my teaching style. I appreciate the tips and pointers given, and have already been trying to utilize them!!! One thing for instance is the utilization of a weekly plan, so that way every week Mr. Heyler, Mr. Boyer, and myself can sit down and actually look at how the week will progress, and how the topics and objectives in class connect and flow.

Throughout the rest of the week, my classes have been busy at work wrapping up different topics. For instance, in Ag Science we have been reviewing different topics in Asexual Propagation. and in Horticulture, we reviewed Wednesday and Thursday all the topics covered in class, from plant anatomy, to growth media, to Macro-nutrients. We were planning on having or test today, but then........... you guessed it, another snow day.

My new certificate!!!!
Today's snow day ended up being good and bad. While that is one less day to work with the students, I did end up getting the opportunity to participate in a district-wide mandatory reporter training. Whats great is that, now that the training is complete, I have my Pennsylvania Mandatory Reporter Certification, which is required to be renewed every 5 years. It's great that I got this opportunity, and am a step ahead for when I finally become a teacher.

I realize that while snow days can be a setback for students and teachers alike, it doesn't mean that some good, like professional development, can't come out of it. On to next week, where we will truly find out what my students know.... Test time!!!!!
.

2 comments:

  1. Howard,

    Good summary of your week. Make sure you share more specific strategies that you plan to implement, as you learn areas that need improvement. A good example from this week's blog was the idea of the week long plan shared with the cooperating teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud you are valuing your instructional time!

    See you on Friday!

    ReplyDelete