Friday, January 30, 2015

From Green to Growing (and from growing to green)

This week has had it's ups and downs, but in life we must learn to persevere. It all started at the beginning of this week.

As I began teaching my three different classes this week, I began to notice that my students were losing focus. I realized quickly that I needed to change my approach and change it fast. So, I took to the internet. Add a short video here, add in an article or two there, mixed well with smaller parts of discussion, and larger activities and experiments, and finally, my classroom has become vibrant again. One of the classes that has truly seen a transformation is my Horticulture class.

This week we have been discussing sexual and asexual propagation, after having a 50 minute period on Monday, that was shortened because of snow, I saw that my students were just uninterested in the subject. I began to not only get worried about my impact, but, frustrated that I wasn't getting through to these kids. Instead of just whining though, I changed. I became the pliable teacher I was supposed to be.

The next day, We had a seed germination lab, where the students each picked bean seeds from a mix of about 9 different beans, bagged them, and put them in the windowsill to germinate (next week we will find out what percentage actually germinated).

After one day, they are already starting to grow tiny roots.
Wednesday, we took to the greenhouse, to plant potato cuttings, and garlic cloves (both of these are forms of asexual propagation- cuttings of plants, and separation of bulbs).

Yesterday, after learning about flowers and pollination, we went to the greenhouse and moved geraniums from the garden bed, to individualized 4" pots. We also found some time too try germinating garlic cloves without soil or potting media (all you need is a pan with sides, and a damp towel, and the garlic will start germinating.)

And today, we learned how strawberries are asexually propagated through the use of specialized stolons called runners, that reach out, and will grow roots, and form a second plant. We learned about how right now, in Plant City, FL, farmers are harvesting strawberries and sending them to northern grocery stores.

The students working hard in the greenhouse.
While I understand that I'm still learning about teaching, I also want to make sure that I am giving my students the best education and best opportunities that they can have. Just like in my Ag Mechanics class, this week we have been learning about electricity, and while we had a slow start in the class, today, I got my students excited about the effects of static electricity. I realized that If I can make things exciting on a smaller topic like static electricity, I can definitely make things more interesting on bigger topics like wiring.

And even in my Ag Science class, I've learned that while discussion can help students understand a topic/problem, that it has to be balanced out. It's like a good Chili: sure you want some spice, but you don't want it to be an inferno and run everybody off. It has to be a balance of sweet, spicy, and tangy. You can't have too much of one thing and leave out the rest of the ingredients. It's got to be just the right amount.

I do look forward to next week, with a new view on things, I'm really excited to work on some grafting projects with the students, and we will be adding a new addition to our classroom... A kiwi plant!!!!!

Well that's it for this week. Now, where will I put this kiwi plant?

2 comments:

  1. Howard, Nice job on explaining your classes. I really liked the chili recipe analogy. I appreciate that you reflected on how to improve based on what you are experiences. Make sure you are talking with Mr. Heyler to get his thoughts on adapting, as well (which I am sure you are doing). Have a great week, and I do look forward to seeing continued growth in your teaching and reflection.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep doing great things Howard.

    As you said, keep doing you!

    ReplyDelete